NILETESOL/Curtis Chan FELT CERTIFICATE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
PRE-FALL, 2022 TERM
NileTESOL members who are interested in the Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) training certificate offered by the Career Development Department (CDD), School of Continuing Education, the American University in Cairo are welcome to apply for a scholarship granted by Curtis Chan (previously known as RELO) at the American Embassy in Cairo, to attend the course.
There are four (4) remaining scholarships out of a total of sixteen to be offered to current active NileTESOL members who have not applied for or received any other scholarship under the NileTESOL Teacher Training Grant. These scholarships are designed to support the professional development of Egyptian teachers who are strongly committed to the ELT profession and who are committed to disseminating the knowledge and skills they will gain from FELT to other teachers around Egypt who have not yet had an opportunity to benefit from such a training program.
Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) Program
The Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) program is a sixty-hour teacher training course that prepares pre-service and in-service teachers to teach adult learners. The course provides English language teachers with the skills, knowledge, and principles of effective teaching and learning as well as hands-on practice. The course content supports best practice in teaching English as a foreign language in both modes of teaching whether face to face or online. In line with the needs of the current situation and demand for online teaching, participants will be introduced to a variety of technical tools and interactive platforms to apply to their specific learning context.
- Class Discussions (Trainers will use a rubric to guide their evaluation of student teachers’ performance and contributions during discussions);
- Class Activities (self-assessment and peer assessment rubrics will be used by student teachers); and
- Written Reflections on preparation for micro-teaching assignments.
|No.||Type of Task||# of Tasks||Percentage|
|2.||Written Observation Tasks||3||30|
|4.||A lesson Plan||1||10|
An Achievement Certificate will be awarded to trainees on successful completion of the training program.
The training program does not automatically lead to employment in the Languages Department, SCE, AUC. Candidates who wish to join the Languages Department are required to follow SCE hiring procedures.
Criteria for Selection:
- be Egyptian citizens resident in Egypt;
- be university graduates (preferably Faculty of Arts or Alsun graduates);
- be preferably teaching or planning to teach in the very near future;
- have excellent command of English and meet B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) or level ENGG B2A on the SCE Standardized English Proficiency Test (SEPT) or Online English Placement Test (OEPT);
- have basic computer skills (Windows and Microsoft Office applications);
- have a reliable internet connection since the course may be offered online;
- have had no formal teacher training certificates such as PCTEFLA, CELTA, ITTP, PCELT, FELT-YL, PCT, PED etc.;
- be 22 to 45 years old;
- be able and willing to apply new teaching methods and theories;
- provide two references and two signed and sealed letters of recommendation to be sent by email directly from the referees’ email addresses.
Mode of Training: Training will be either offered online or face-to-face depending on the situation prevailing then by the Career Development Department, School of Continuing Education, the American University in Cairo.
Duration: July 25 to September 6, 2022.
Days: Either Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays or Fridays and Saturdays (The exact schedule will be specified at the beginning of the course.)
Course Prerequisite: A minimum score equivalent to B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), Level B2A on SEPT or OEPT (SCE, AUC’s English Placement Tests)
- Regular Scheduled Tests: LE 285 for SEPT and LE 270 for OEPT.
For any queries regarding the SEPT/OEPT, kindly email the Evaluation, Testing and Assessment Department (ETAD) at email@example.com.)
- One-day Service Face to Face/Online Test: LE 425
The SEPT/OEPT fee is to be paid by the applicants and is non-refundable/non-reimbursable.
Note: A valid IELTS, TOEFL iBT or TOEFL ITP score equivalent to CEFR B2 may be submitted in place of the SEPT/OEPT score.
Application Process and Deadlines Interested applicants should submit the attached FELT application form, duly filled, along with the following documents by July 10, 2022:
- A scanned copy of the SEPT/OEPT score or its equivalent IELTS, TOEFL iBT or TOEFL ITP score
- A scanned copy of the national identity card
- An updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- A scanned copy of the university degree
- A scanned copy of any relevant training certificates
- An experience certificate from the current employer
- The attached Citizenship Declaration Form, duly filled and signed
- Two letters of reference on the referees’ letterhead to be sent directly by the referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications will be screened and selected shortlisted candidates invited for an interview where the final selection will be made.
Deadline for Applications: July 10, 2022
Applications are to be submitted by email at email@example.com.
Scholarship Amount (to be paid out of a grant by Curtis Chan): LE 6,640
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
To download this announcement, click here.