At the British Council, we are passionate about English and we are keen to support and develop people who teach English.
Through our courses, expert advice, teaching tips and materials, articles, discussions, and support networks, we’re here to help teachers of English become more effective. We also provide UK exams and qualifications for teachers and students.
For more information on our programmes and services, please visit our website http://www.britishcouncil.org.eg
Or follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BritishCouncilEgypt
British Council and Nile TESOL
Since 2010, the British Council has partnered with Nile TESOL to support the development of English language teaching in Egypt through:
• Nile TESOL Professional Development Events
• Nile TESOL Annual Conference
• International conference scholarships for Nile TESOL members
Resources for Teachers
Professional Development Resources and Networking
You are on a journey as a teacher of English. Whether you’re an experienced English language teacher or new to the profession, the British Council Continuing Professional Development Framework http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/continuing-professional-development has been developed to help you move forward in your career.
• We offer a range of online and face-to-face courses. Find out about CELTA and TKT in Egypt at http://www.britishcouncil.org.eg or sign up for an online course at http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/teacher-training
• There are also regular webinars attended by teachers from around the world at http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/webinars
• You can join our TeachingEnglish Community and talk to other teachers about your teaching and the issues that concern you. Read our topical blogs and engage with our bloggers, sign up for our newsletters, or visit our busy Facebook page.
Online Teaching and Learning Resources
Our TeachingEnglish website http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk is a fantastic source of ideas, activities and lesson plans for the busy teacher.
Our LearnEnglish websites for kids, teens and adults http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en offers materials for learners from kindergarten upwards, with games and fun activities as well as help with academic study and workplace skills. We have also partnered with the Barclays Premier League to create a website for learning English through Football! http://premierskillsenglish.britishcouncil.org/
TESOL Arabia 2016 Grant
This year the British Council will again be supporting a Nile TESOL representative to attend and speak at the TESOL Arabia Conference in Dubai from 10-12 March 2016. If you would like to apply to speak at the conference and be supported financially by the British Council to do so, you should send in your application as soon as possible. Sponsorships are limited. For more information, please visit this link. For application, click here.
MOOC Courses for English Educators:
– Understanding Language: Learning and Teaching
What is language? How do we learn meaning in a new language? What is easy and hard about learning another language? And what is the best way to teach other languages? This free online course suggests some answers to these questions. It has been developed by the University of Southampton and the British Council, and draws on their exciting joint online course. For more information, please click here.
– Professional Practices for English Language Teaching
This free online course is for English language teachers around the world. It will help you develop the skills and practices you need for your continuing professional development (CPD). For more information, please click here.
– Exploring English: Magna Carta
How did a peace treaty signed by an English king in 1215 become such an important symbol of liberty and human rights around the world?
This free online course will start by looking at the events that led to the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215, before examining the role the Magna Carta has played in shaping history – from American independence to liberation movements around the world. For more information, please click here.