NILETESOL/RELO FELT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
FALL 2, 2023 TERM
NileTESOL members who are interested in the Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) training program offered by the Career Development Department (CDD), School of Continuing Education, The American University in Cairo are invited to apply for a scholarship for this course granted by the Regional English Language Office (RELO) at the American Embassy in Cairo.
There are three (3) remaining scholarships out of a total of eighteen (18) for current active NileTESOL members who have not applied for or received any other scholarship under the NileTESOL Teacher Training Grant. These scholarships are designed to support the professional development of Egyptian teachers who are strongly committed to the ELT profession and who are committed to disseminating the knowledge and skills they will gain from FELT to other teachers around Egypt who have not yet had an opportunity to benefit from such a training program.
Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) Program
The Fundamentals of English Language Teaching (FELT) program is a sixty-hour teacher training course that prepares pre-service and in-service teachers to teach adult learners. The course provides English language teachers with the skills, knowledge, and principles of effective teaching and learning as well as hands-on teaching practice. The course content supports best practice in teaching English as a foreign language in both online and face to face modes of teaching. In line with a growing demand for online teaching, participants will be introduced to a variety of technical tools and interactive platforms to apply to their specific learning context.
- Class Discussions (Trainers will use a rubric to guide their evaluation of student teachers’ performance and contributions during discussions);
- Class Activities (self-assessment and peer assessment rubrics will be used by student teachers); and
- Written Reflections on preparation for micro-teaching assignments.
|No.||Type of Task||# of Tasks||Percentage|
|2.||Written Observation Tasks||3||30|
|4.||A lesson Plan||1||10|
An Achievement Certificate will be awarded to trainees on successful completion of the training program.
The training program does not automatically lead to employment in the Languages Department, SCE, AUC. Candidates who wish to join the Languages Department are required to follow SCE hiring procedures.
Criteria for Selection:
- be Egyptian citizens resident in Egypt;
- be university graduates (preferably Faculty of Arts or Alsun graduates);
- be preferably teaching or planning to teach in the very near future;
- have excellent command of English and meet B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) which is level ENGG B2A on the SCE, AUC’s Standardized English Proficiency Test (SEPT) or Online English Placement Test (OEPT);
- have basic computer skills (Windows and Microsoft Office applications);
- have a reliable internet connection since the course may be offered online;
- have had no formal teacher training certificates such as PCTEFLA, CELTA, ITTP, PCELT, FELT-YL, PCT, PED etc.;
- be 22 to 45 years old;
- be able and willing to apply new teaching methods and theories;
- provide two references and two signed and sealed letters of recommendation to be sent by email directly from the referees’ email addresses.
Mode of Training: Training will be either offered online or face-to-face by the Career Development Department, School of Continuing Education, The American University in Cairo.
Duration: Thursday, October 26 – December 7, 2023.
Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
Fridays and Saturdays (the exact schedule will be announced at the beginning of the course.)
Course Prerequisite: A minimum score equivalent to B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) which is Level B2A on SEPT or OEPT (SCE, AUC’s English placement tests)
- EGP 400 for SEPT and EGP 340 for OEPT
The SEPT/OEPT fee is to be paid by the applicants and is non-refundable/non-reimbursable.
Note: A valid IELTS, TOEFL iBT. TOEFL ITP or PET score equivalent to CEFR B2 may be submitted in place of the SEPT/OEPT score. AUC does not recognize or accept any other English proficiency test scores.
Application Process and Deadlines
Interested applicants should submit the attached FELT application form, duly filled, along with the following documents by October 10, 2023:
- A scanned copy of the SEPT/OEPT score or its equivalent IELTS, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP or PET score
- A scanned copy of the national identity card
- An updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- A scanned copy of the university degree
- A scanned copy of any relevant training certificates
- An experience certificate from the current employer
- The attached Citizenship Declaration Form, duly filled and signed
- Two letters of reference on the referees’ letterhead to be sent directly by the referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications and all required documents will be screened and selected shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview where the final selection will be made.
Deadline for Applications: October 10, 2023
Applications and all the other documents listed above are to be submitted by email at email@example.com.
Scholarship Amount (to be paid out of a grant by RELO): LE 7,950
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org