RELO/NILETESOL FELT-YL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
NileTESOL members who are interested in the Fundamentals of English Language Teaching for Young Learners (FELT-YL) teacher training certificate program offered by the Career Development Department (CDD), School of Continuing Education, The American University in Cairo are invited to apply for a scholarship granted by the Regional English Language Office (RELO) at the American Embassy in Cairo, to attend the course.
There are a total of twelve scholarships to be awarded to teachers teaching in public schools and/or Azharite institutions who are either current active NileTESOL members or who become members of NileTESOL. These scholarships are designed to support the professional development of Egyptian teachers who are strongly committed to the ELT profession and to disseminating the knowledge and skills they will gain from FELT-YL training program to other teachers around Egypt who have not yet had an opportunity to benefit from such a training program. Prospective grant recipients should not have received any other scholarship under the NileTESOL Teacher Training Grant.
Fundamentals of English Language Teaching for Young Learners (FELT-YL)
FELT-YL is a sixty-hour teacher training course that exposes pre-service and in-service teachers to the most essential EFL classroom skills, strategies and techniques and prepares them to take their first practical steps in the profession of teaching young learners (YL). The course content supports best practice in teaching English as a foreign language in various modes of teaching whether face to face, online and/or blended format. In line with the increasing trend towards online and blended teaching, participants will be introduced to a variety of technical tools and interactive platforms to apply to their specific teaching context. They will also be able to develop their ability to judge when, how, and with which students to use such proposed skills and tools based on their learners’ needs and available resources.
- Class Discussions (Trainers will use a rubric to guide their evaluation of trainees’ performance and contributions during discussions);
- Class Activities (self-assessment and peer assessment rubrics will be used by trainees); and
- Written Reflections on preparation for micro-teaching assignments.
|Type of Task||# of Tasks||Percentage|
|1. Micro-teaching||3||30% – 5%- 10%- 15%|
|2. Written Observation Tasks||2||20%|
|3. Written Assignments||2||20%|
|4. A lesson Plan||1||10%|
AUC/SCE will present each successful trainee a Certificate of Achievement.
This training program does not automatically lead to employment in the Languages Department (English). Candidates who wish to join the Languages Department (English) are required to follow SCE hiring procedures.
Criteria for Selection:
- be Egyptian citizens living in Egypt. Priority is for residents of governorates other than Cairo. Residents of Cairo are, however, welcome to apply.
- be university graduates (preferably Faculty of Arts or Alsun graduates)
- be preferably teaching or planning to teach in the very near future. Preference is for teachers teaching in public schools and/or Azharite institutions.
- have excellent command of English and meet level B1C on the SCE Online English Placement Test (OEPT).
- have basic computer skills (Windows and Office applications).
- have reliable internet connection;
- have no formal teacher training certificates such as PCTEFLA, CELTA, ITTP, PCELT, FELT, PCT, PED etc.
- be 22 to 45 years of age.
- be able and willing to apply new teaching methods and theories in the institutions they teach at.
- provide two references and two signed and sealed letters of reference.
Mode of Training: Training will be offered face-to-face by the Career Development Department, School of Continuing Education, The American University in Cairo at its campus in Tahrir.
Application Process and Deadlines
- A scanned copy of the SEPT/OEPT score
- A scanned copy of the national identity card
- An updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- A scanned copy of the university degree
- A scanned copy of any relevant training certificates
- An experience certificate from the current employer
- The attached Citizenship Declaration Form, duly filled and signed
- Two letters of reference on the referees’ letterhead to be sent directly by the referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications will be screened and selected shortlisted candidates invited for an interview where the final selection will be made.
July 9 – 27, 2023
The program will be offered in an intensive mode over three weeks to accommodate teachers coming from different governorates
Schedule of Classes:
Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays
9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
Course Prerequisite: A minimum score equivalent to Level B1C on SEPT/OEPT (SCE, AUC’s English Placement Tests)
- EGP 285 for SEPT and EGP 270 for OEPT.
The SEPT/OEPT fee is to be paid by the applicants and is non-refundable/non-reimbursable.
Note: A valid IELTS, TOEFL iBT or TOEFL ITP score equivalent to SEPT/OEPT B1C may be submitted in place of the SEPT/OEPT score. AUC does not recognize or accept any other English proficiency test scores.
Deadline for Applications: June 15, 2023
Applications and all the other documents should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Scholarship Amount (to be paid out of a grant by RELO): LE 6,640
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org